If you’re jewelry addicts like us, you probably carefully study every piece of jewelry before buying it. You may have noticed a 925 stamp on certain silver baubles. What does a 925 stamp mean? That’s what we’re here to tell you!
A 925 stamp (aka a .925 or S925 stamp) signifies that 92.5% of your jewelry is sterling silver, and the remaining 7.5% is made of alloy metals. If you see 925 stamped on a piece of jewelry, this means the jewelry meets the quality standards of silver. Anything without a 925 stamp isn’t considered true silver. Now there is one loop-hole (isn’t there always?) – not all countries are strict with their markings or require a stamp. Luckily there are easy ways to test for sterling silver authenticity at home.
2) Rub a soft white cloth on your silver jewelry. A 925 piece of jewelry should oxidize when exposed to the air, so if you see black marks on your cloth, then your piece is more than likely sterling silver.
Do you have any silver jewelry tips? Share with us in the comments section below!