Jewelry, hounds? It’s officially Awards Season. And with the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards kicking things in to high gear tonight, I thought I’d offer up a few predictions and a red carpet drinking game to keep the LIVE TWEET crowd buzzed enough to weigh in with equal parts snark and honesty.
Live Tweet, you ask? Be there, people. Use #globejewelry from 4:00PST/7:00EST on and join what is now our 4th annual Awards Season gathering where high falutin’ jewelry editors and designers mash it up with us regular jewelry-lovin’ folk as we gasp, gawk and begrudge our favorite celebs on the red carpet. Ryan Seacrest is a favorite target.
So. On to the predictions – always a fun exercise in futility.
1. Emerald Elegance. It’s the Color of the Year, folks, and it’s ALWAYS a red carpet staple. I’m thinking we’ll see oodles of it this year in frock form and in the jewelry department.
2. No necks. No nonsense. Neckwear is still a relative no-show on the red carpet. Instead, the A-list likes to pile on the bangle or stretch their ear lobes with statement earrings (and with Mia Farrow-esque short hair making a comeback on stars like Anne Hathaway, earrings are a definite no-brainer).
3. Vintage, Deco and Estate. What’s old is new again. This month’s InDesign Magazinepoints out that period jewelry made its mark on 2012 and promises to stay well into 2013. I’m looking for Claire Danes to don some deco (a favorite of hers from the Emmys), Naomi Watts to rock the vintage diamond ice and her BFF Nicole to come out in some crazy estate piece from Fred Leighton (a favorite of hers from awards shows past).
4. Earthly delights. Natural gemstone looks (geode, moonstone, etc) from designers like Kimberly McDonald were once a red carpet surprise but are now a regular player on A-listers like Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz and nominee, Amy Adams.
Everyone who has ever followed my coverage of big red carpet events knows that champagne plays a large part in making the magic happen. And I KNOW I’m not alone! Tina Fey and Amy Poehler published their drinking game guidlines for the show itself earlier this week (hilarious – check it out here), so I thought I’d throw out some suggestions for the red carpet gawk fest.
Turn the TV to E! Online, find a comfy chair, put on your snark suit and……DRINK!:
1. When you see someone wearing emeralds
2. When Guilana Rancic says ‘sweetie’
3. If Sofia Vergara bears cleavage.
4. When Ryan Seacrest forgets to ask “Who designed your jewelry?”
5. When you…zzzzzz…..get a simple studs sighting.
6. Every time you hear Lorraine Schwartz, Chopard or Cartier
This should do the trick! Check in after the show for my trends recap and to Jewelry.com for our Celebrity-Inspired Sale using all the hottest looks from the night! Toodles for now!